The removals industry in Australia is worth 2 billion dollars with an annual growth rate of around 2 percent. There are close to 10,000 removal businesses in the country employing around 20,000 people.
Australia’s corporate removals industry is under constant change reflecting shifting macro conditions. There are however 5 main companies that dominate the industry and have stood the test of time.
In this article we discuss the the top 5 national players in Australia that have been around for over 20 years:
- Allied Pickfords – Allied focuses on local, interstate, and international relocations for business and residential. The have 40 branches in Australia and 600 partners internationally. Allied claims to have begun moving furniture and freight as early as 1646. This makes Allied the oldest of the top 5 players in the industry.
- Egans – Another national entity with a focus on business relocations. Egans does not do residential moves. They offer full suite removal services focused purely on business; relocations, storage, asset disposal, and office fit-outs. They have been around since 1996 with a head office in Melbourne.
- Grace Removals Group – Grace has a focus on home and business removals with 40 branches across Australia. They claim to have began one of Sydney’s first removals company in 1911 using horse drawn carts.
- Chess Movers – Chess has branches througout Australia and have been around for over 20 years. They focus on residential, corporate, and international relocations.
- Nuss – Like Grace, Nuss claims to be one Sydney’s first ever removalists beginning in 1892. The company has offices in Sydney and Melbourne. They provide both local removal services and international relocations.